Preparing students for 21st century decisions
Today's students are the next generation of decision-makers and caretakers of our Earth. They need to develop a depth of understanding about the reasoning behind and implications of human actions, and the consequences for our world.
To prepare for this kind of decision-making, students need to:
- Critically evaluate information they are consuming
- Ask questions, parse out issues, and identify problems
- Recognize and analyze information from different perspectives
- Have a general understanding of the state of the world
- Form arguments from evidence
Case studies anchored in real world issues enable students to focus on deconstructing the decision-making process. Students analyze an already determined decision through multiple stakeholders' perspectives. They examine the influence, complexity, and interconnection of relationships that occur during this process.