This video was filmed on November 30, 2011 as part of the National Geographic Live! Lecture series at National Geographic Society headquarters in Washington, D.C.
Steve Winter has been stalked by jaguars in Brazil, charged by a grizzly in Siberia, and trapped in quicksand in the world's largest tiger reserve in Myanmar. He's flown over erupting volcanoes and visited isolated villages where residents had never before seen a blond foreigner—or a camera. In 1991, Winter began shooting for the National Geographic Society. He has covered many subjects for National Geographic magazine, including Cuba, Russia's giant Kamchatka bears, tigers in Myanmar's Hukawng Valley, and life along Myanmar's Irrawaddy River.
Strategies for Using Video in a Variety of Learning Environments
- Have students preview several of the videos and choose the one they find most inspiring. Have students describe in writing a conversation they might have with the speaker(s).
- Freeze the video on a relevant image. Have students observe details in the still image and jot down predictions of what the full video might address. Discuss students’ ideas before and after watching the video.
- Pose an open-ended question before students watch the video, and have them discuss their ideas before and after in small groups.
- Have students determine what they think the key message of this video is. Was the speaker effective in getting his or her message across?
- Show a short clip to engage students during class, and then have students watch the full video at home and write a paragraph responding to the content or a question you give them.
- Have students note statements that represent facts or opinions, including where it’s difficult to tell the difference. What further research might help distinguish facts and opinions? How might the speaker’s viewpoint compare with others’ viewpoints about a topic?
Term Part of Speech Definition Encyclopedic Entry big cat Noun
large predators, including tigers, lions, jaguars, and leopards.
art and science of producing still or moving images using the chemical reaction of light on a sensitive surface, such as film or an electronic sensor.
large cat native to Asia.