Kiten is a resort on Bulgaria's Black Sea coast. Kiten was once part of the "Red Riviera."
The Red Riviera was the nickname for spas and resorts on the Black Sea during the 1970s and 1980s. In addition to warm-weather facilities on the pristine coastline, the Red Riviera also included ski resorts further inland.
The Red Riviera extended from Bulgaria through Romania and the former Soviet Union (now Ukraine, Russia, and Georgia). The resorts catered to wealthy vacationers from the Eastern Bloc, mostly the Soviet Union and Balkan countries.
After the breakup of the Soviet Union in the early 1990s, Kiten and other resorts on the Red Riviera lost their main source of income and struggled to survive. Today, Kiten is once again a thriving resort town, now appealing to western as well as eastern Europeans. Tourists are attracted to the Bulgarian Riviera's beaches, undeveloped countryside, and affordability.
Using this map and clues in the Fast Facts tab, find the riviera and bodies of water on which the following resorts are situated. For example, the answer to "Kiten, Bulgaria," would be "Red Riviera, Black Sea."Sharm-El-Sheikh, Egypt
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Cozumel, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Zhuhai, Guandong Province, China
Acapulco, Guerrero, Mexico
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Orchard Beach, Bronx, New York
Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico
Saint Tropez, France
The Red Riviera was nicknamed after the Riviera, an area of the northwestern Mediterranean coast stretching from Spain, through France, Monaco, and Italy. The Riviera is associated with luxury. Here are a few "Riviera" resorts around the world.
- American Riviera (Santa Barbara, California; Miami, Florida)
- Australian Riviera (Queensland, Australia)
- Chinese Riviera (southeastern coast of Guandong Province, China)
- English Riviera (Torquay, England)
- Mexican Riviera (west coast of Mexico, from Ensenada, Baja California, to Salina Cruz, Oaxaca)
- Red Riviera (Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, Russia, Georgia)
- Red Sea Riviera (eastern Egypt, including the Sinai Peninsula)
- Redneck Riviera (southeastern United States, from Mobile, Alabama to Apalachicola, Florida, and southeastern United States from Virginia Beach, Virginia, to St. Augustine, Florida)
- Riviera Maya (eastern Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico)
- Riviera of New York (Orchard Beach, Bronx, New York)
- South American Riviera (Punta del Este, Uruguay)
Term Part of Speech Definition Encyclopedic Entry affordable Adjective
reasonably priced, not expensive.
edge of land along the sea or other large body of water.
Encyclopedic Entry: coast Eastern Bloc Noun
(1945-1989) states and nations in central and eastern Europe under the sphere of influence of the Soviet Union.
pure or unpolluted.
facility or space people go to relax in a luxury setting.
ski resort Noun
facility where people can ski for recreation or sport.
Soviet Union Noun
(1922-1991) large northern Eurasian nation that had a communist government. Also called the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, or the USSR.
facility, usually with mineral hot springs, offering health benefits.