- Chimpanzees are omnivores, meaning they eat both plants and animals. Chimpanzees also ingest foods to combat diseases.
- More than 50% of the food eaten by wild chimpanzees is fruit. Almost all of this fruit is made up of a variety of figs. In addition to figs, chimps may eat Musanga fruits (from the African corkwood tree), Drypetes fruit, custard apples (fruit from the Annonaceae family of plants) and berries from a wide variety of trees and shrubs that surround them in their African jungle home.
- Other plants eaten by chimpanzees include seeds, flowers, leaves, and nuts. The most common type of nut eaten by chimpanzees is the oil-palm nut. Chimps also eat kola nuts and panda nuts, whose shells are so tough that chimps use hard stones to crack them open.
- Meat and animal products, like honey and eggs, make up less than 5% of a chimp's diet. Animals eaten by chimps include termites, colobus monkeys, beetle grubs, birds, bush babies . . . and, sometimes, other chimpanzees.
- Foods eaten to combat diseases include: soil (which contains anti-malaria minerals) elm bark (which fights bacterial infections), cordia flower stems (which reduces the risk of tuberculosis), and unripe figs (which have de-worming properties).
- Foods that are NOT eaten by wild chimpanzees? Anything that comes in a polystyrene cup.
Term Part of Speech Definition Encyclopedic Entry bacteria Plural Noun
(singular: bacterium) single-celled organisms found in every ecosystem on Earth.
typically hard, outer covering of a tree.
large, intelligent ape native to Africa.
a harmful condition of a body part or organ.
blossom or reproductive organs of a plant.
material, usually of plant or animal origin, that living organisms use to obtain nutrients.
Encyclopedic Entry: food fruit Noun
edible part of a plant that grows from a flower.
to take material, such as food or medicine, into a body.
tropical ecosystem filled with trees and underbrush.
infectious disease caused by a parasite carried by mosquitoes.
inorganic material that has a characteristic chemical composition and specific crystal structure.
organism that eats a variety of organisms, including plants, animals, and fungi.
Encyclopedic Entry: omnivore seed Noun
part of a plant from which a new plant grows.
main stalk of a plant.
infectious, sometimes deadly, disease of the lungs.