People held the first Olympic Games more than 2,000 years ago in Greece. During the Olympics, athletes from around the world compete. They want to show that they are the fastest, strongest, or most skilled in their sport. Imagine if there were an Olympics for animals. Which animal would win as many gold medals in swimming as Michael Phelps? Which animal would be the Usain Bolt of running?
Many athletes have become famous for their athletic skill. LeBron James is a famous basketball player. Some animals are also well known for their amazing physical abilities. For example, kangaroos and impalas are famous for their leaping. Whales travel very far distances in the ocean. They migrate much, much farther than the distance of a marathon. Cheetahs are the fastest land animals. They run quickly so they can catch prey, like hares and antelope. Of course, animals don't win medals. They are competing for their survival.
- Gray whales migrate 9,650 kilometers (6,000 miles), which is about the same as traveling from Maine to California and back.
- Bumblebees can fly to 5,500 meters (18,000 feet), which is almost as high as the tallest mountain in Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro.
- Bald eagles can fly up to one third the height of the tallest mountain in the world, Mount Everest.
- The distance of green sea turtle migration is about the distance between Maine and Florida.
- Sperm whales can dive more than 1.6 kilometers (one mile) below the surface of the water.
Term Part of Speech Definition Encyclopedic Entry animal migration Noun
process where a community of animals leaves a habitat for part of the year or part of their lives, and moves to habitats that are more hospitable.
person who participates or competes in sporting events.
mammal, related to rabbits, with long ears and strong legs for hopping.
antelope native to Africa.
42.195 kilometer (26 mile, 385 yard) foot race.
to move from one place or activity to another.
international sports competition divided into summer and winter games held every four years.
to hunt, trap, or fish illegally.
ability to live.