Subjects & Disciplines
- English Language Arts
- Read infographics and identify specific information as well as visual elements the infographic uses to communicate a message to the audience.
- Understand that governments have some responsibilities in protecting natural spaces within their jurisdiction, but local organizations must work with the federal government in writing, enforcing, and maintaining environmental regulations.
- Create an infographic about ethical mountaineering or other forms of outdoor recreation.
- Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
- Integrate information presented in different media or formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively) as well as in words to develop and demonstrate a coherent understanding of a topic or issue.
- Distinguish the powers and responsibilities of citizens from those of others.
- Acknowledge citizens’ responsibilities in protecting outdoor recreational areas.
- Be able to identify rules and regulations that protect natural areas.
- Analyze infographics to identify information and visual elements used to communicate a message to the audience.
- Understand the importance of visual appeal and readability in public documents.
- Understand that governments have some responsibility to protect natural spaces within their jurisdiction.
- Analyze the purpose, implementation, and consequences of public policies that impact Mount Everest and other natural areas.
- Distinguish the powers and responsibilities of political parties from those of citizens.
- Brainstorm a list of potential rights for an Everest Bill of Rights.
- Project-based learning
- Information organization
- Multimedia instruction
21st Century Student Outcomes
- Information, Media, and Technology Skills
- Learning and Innovation Skills
- Life and Career Skills
- 21st Century Themes
Critical Thinking Skills
Connections to National Standards, Principles, and Practices
What You’ll Need
The resources are also available at the top of the page.
- Internet Access: Required
- Internet access: Required
- Tech Setup: 1 computer per classroom, Monitor/screen, Printer, Projector, Speakers, Word processing software
- Community center
- Heterogeneous grouping
- Individualized instruction
- Large-group instruction
- The United States Bill of Rights exists as a safeguard for citizens of the United States from the government. It sets rules that the federal government must abide by when judging its citizens in order to protect people from corruption of power.
- Infographics present information visually and succinctly. They integrate design, writing, and analysis with the bulk of the information you want to convey.
- Governmental agencies of the United States keep accessible records of their laws, policies and regulations, and responsible citizens read about and understand their rights and responsibilities.
first 10 amendments to the U.S. Constitution.
member of a country, state, or town who shares responsibilities for the area and benefits from being a member.
behavior of a person in terms of their community.
person who recognizes the rights and responsibilities, according to the UN Global Education First Initiative, "associated with the interconnected global challenges that call for far-reaching changes in how we think and act for the dignity of fellow human beings."
visual representation of data. Also called information graphic or graphic.
first step or move in a plan.
process of balancing the interests of development, resources, and sustainability for a region.
highest spot on Earth, approximately 8,850 meters (29,035 feet). Mount Everest is part of the Himalaya and straddles the border of Nepal and China.
rule or law.
being accountable and reliable for an action or situation.
responsible management to ensure benefits are passed on to future generations.
use of resources in such a manner that they will never be exhausted.
able to be continued at the same rate for a long period of time.
For Further Exploration
Articles & Profiles
- UNESCO: Biosphere Reserve Information: QOMOLANGMA
- Bloomberg: Everest Needs to Go More Commercial
- Center for Biodiversity: What is Sustainability?
- Media Cause: 7 Tips to Make An Awesome Infographic
- National Park Service: Call to Action-Preparing fora Second Century of Stewardship and Engagement
- Leave No Trace: Would you Drink It?
- Ballot Measure