Subjects & Disciplines
- English Language Arts
- World History
- identify languages spoken and religion practiced in the United Kingdom and Ireland
- work with maps to identify regions where languages, religions, and country borders do not correspond
- explore how religion and language can impact country borders by uniting and/or dividing populations of people
- Cooperative learning
- Visual instruction
Connections to National Standards, Principles, and Practices
What You’ll Need
The resources are also available at the top of the page.
- Internet Access: Required
- Internet access: Required
- Tech Setup: 1 computer per classroom, Projector
- Large-group instruction
- Small-group instruction
- Before starting the activity, make transparencies of key maps. Print the following maps on transparency paper: Dominant Languages in the United Kingdom and Ireland, The United Kingdom and Ireland, and Dominant Religions in the United Kingdom and Ireland.
- If you made transparencies of the Physical Map of Europe and Country Borders in Europe for Lesson 3, Activity 1, you can also use those in Step 1 of this activity.
Recommended Prior Lessons
natural or artificial line separating two pieces of land.
spreading of a species into a new habitat or ecosystem, and establishing a healthy population there.
a disagreement or fight, usually over ideas or procedures.
geographic territory with a distinct name, flag, population, boundaries, and government.
learned behavior of people, including their languages, belief systems, social structures, institutions, and material goods.
body of land surrounded by water.
set of sounds, gestures, or symbols that allows people to communicate.
naturally occurring geographic characteristics.
flat, smooth area at a low elevation.
total number of people or organisms in a particular area.
any area on Earth with one or more common characteristics. Regions are the basic units of geography.
a system of spiritual or supernatural belief.
large stream of flowing fresh water.
land an animal, human, or government protects from intruders.
For Further Exploration
Articles & Profiles
- NG MapMaker 1-Page Map: Europe
- National Geographic Education: Europe MapMaker Kit
- National Geographic Education: MapMaker 1-Page Map: Ireland
- National Geographic Education: MapMaker 1-Page Map: United Kingdom
- NG MapMaker Interactive: Europe
- National Geographic Education: MapMaker Interactive: Europe—Major Religions