In 1927, famed American artist N. C. Wyeth completed a series of five murals for Hubbard Memorial Hall, the National Geographic Society's first formal library. Called "The Romance of Discovery," these murals were flanked by highly illustrated maps of the Eastern and Western Hemispheres showing the paths taken by some of the world's most significant explorers. The Eastern Hemisphere map is decorated with portraits of these men charting their courses.